James Fenimore Cooper Society Website
This page is: http://jfcoopersociety.org/susan/s-check.html
Susan Fenimore Cooper
Checklist of Writings
Updated June 2008
Please submit additions and/or corrections to the Society
compiled by Hugh C. MacDougall
We express our thanks to Rochelle Johnson for permission to include materials from Rochelle Johnson and Daniel Patterson, Eds., Susan Fenimore Cooper: New Essays on Rural Hours and other Works (University of Georgia Press, 2001), pp. 267-270, "Susan Fenimore Cooper's Published Works in Chronological Order."
Return to Home Page
Return to Susan Fenimore Cooper
Books, as Author
- as Elinor Wyllys. A Tale [anonymous]. London: Bentley, 1845--3 vols.
- as Elinor Wyllys: or, The Young Folk of Longbridge. A Tale. by Amabel Penfeather. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1846--2 vols. On-line at this site: Volume I; Volume II.
- New York: George P. Putnam, 1850 -- "by a Lady"
- London: Bentley, 1850--2 vols.
- New York: Putnam, 1851 -- "by a Lady" Illustrated edition
- Philadelphia: Willis P. Hazard, 1854 -- Illustrated edition
- as Journal of a Naturalist in the United States London: Bentley, 1855
- New York: Putnam, 1868 -- "with a new chapter"
- New York: Putnam, 1876
- Boston and New York: Houghton, Mifflin, 1887 -- "new and revised edition" [abridged by the author]. On line at two websites: By Season; By Month.
- Syracuse University Press, 1968 [ed. by David Jones; reprint of 1887 ed.]
- Syracuse University Press, paperback, 1995 [ed. by David Jones; reprint of 1887 ed.]
- Georgia University Press, 1998 [ed. by Rochelle Johnson and Daniel Patterson from 1850 edition
Mount Vernon: A Letter to the Children of America. By the Author of "Rural Hours," Etc.
- New York: D. Appleton, 1859
William West Skiles: A Sketch of Missionary Life at Valle Crucis in Western North Carolina, 1842-1862
- New York: James Pott and Co., 1890
- Valle Crucis, NC: Valle Crucis Conference Center, 1992 -- facsimile
The Shield: A Narrative
[Advertised as "in press" in Memorial of James Fenimore Cooper (New York: G.P. Putnam, 1852), but no text ever located]
Books, as Editor
[John Leonard Knapp], Country Rambles in England; or Journal of a Naturalist. With Notes and Additions, by the Author of 'Rural Hours'
- Buffalo: Phinney & Co., 1853
The Rhyme and Reason of Country Life: or, Selections from Fields Old and New. By the Author of "Rural Hours"
- New York: G.P. Putnam, 1854
- New York: G.P. Putnam, 1855
Rural Rambles, or, Some Chapters on Flowers, Birds, and Insects. By a Lady. [no positive evidence that she was editor, except for style, etc.]
- Philadelphia: Willis P. Hazard, 1854
Pages and Pictures, from the Writings of James Fenimore Cooper
with Notes by Susan Fenimore Cooper [Excerpts from 25 novels, with introductions by SFC] Introductions are On Line on this Website.
- New York: W.A. Townsend, 1861
- Secaucus: Castle Books, 1980 -- facsimile of 1861 edition
- as The Cooper Gallery; or, Pages and Pictures from the Writings of James Fenimore Cooper New York: James Miller, 1865
Appleton's Illustrated Almanac for 1870 [SFC listed as editor, but may have written the material as well]
- New York: D. Appleton, 1869
Stories and articles
- "Otsego Leaves":
- "Birds Then and Now." June 1878. (Vol. IV, No. 6) On Line at University of Michigan.;
- "The Bird MediŠval." Aug. 1878. (Vol. V, No. 2) On Line at University of Michigan.;
- "The Bird Primeval." Aug. 1878. (Vol. V, No. 3) On Line at University of Michigan.;
- "A Road-Side Post-Office." Dec. 1878. (Vol. V, No. 6) On Line at University of Michigan.
- "A Glance Backward." February 1887. (Vol. 59, pp. 199-206) On Line at Cornell University.
- "A Second Glance Backward." October 1887 (Vol. 60, pp. 474-86) On Line at Cornell University.
Churchman: The Faith Once Delivered to the Saints
- "Thoughts on Parish Life." June 30, July 7,14 21,28, August 4,11,18,25, September 1,8,15,22,29, October 6,13,20 (1883).
Church-Yard Humming Bird (Cooperstown, NY)
- Lead article and six contributed items.
Freeman's Journal, The (Cooperstown weekly newspaper)
- "Hospital Notice" May 29, 1868.
- "The Orphanage Fund Pledged" May 4, 1888.
- "An Outing on Lake Otsego" April 12 and 19, 1894. (Vol. 86.)
- "The Lumley Autograph" January - February 1851 (Vol. 38, pp. 31-36, 97-101).
By the Author of 'Rural Hours,' Etc. On line on this website
Harper's New Monthly Magazine
- "Sally Lewis and Her Lovers" April 1859 (Vol. 18, pp. 644-53) On Line at Cornell University.
- "Female Suffrage: A Letter to the Christian Women of America" August-September 1870
(Vol. 41, pp. 438-46; 594-600) On line on this Website. On Line Part I, Part II at Cornell University.
- "Two of My Lady-Loves" June 1872 (Vol. 45, pp. 129-33) On Line at Cornell University.
- "Rear-Admiral William Branford Shubrick" August 1876 (Vol. 53, pp. 400-407) On Line at Cornell University.
[reprinted as Rear-Admiral William Branford Shubrick: A Sketch (New York: 1877)
- "A Lament for the Birds" August 1893 (Vol. 87, pp. 472-74) On Line at Cornell University.
Ladies' Home Journal, The
- "The Talent of Reading Wisely." February 1892 (Vol. IX, no. 3, p. 18) On line on this Website.
Living Church, The (Episcopal Church Weekly, Chicago)
- "Missions to the Oneidas" 15 parts. April 11, 18, 25, 1885; Feb. 20, 27, Mar. 6, 13, 20, 27, Apr. 10, 24, May 1, 15, 22, 29, June 5, 1886. On line on this Website.
Magazine of American History
- "The Hudson River and Its Early Names." June 1880 (Vol. 4, pp. 401-18) On line on this Website.
- "Financial Condition of New York in 1833." October 1889 (Vol. 22, pp. 328-30) [letter by James Fenimore Cooper] [On line on Google books]
- "Fragments [Leaves] from a Diary of James Fenimore Cooper" February 1868 (Vol. 1, pp. 167-72) On Line at Cornell University.
- "Passages [Leaves] from a Diary by James Fenimore Cooper" June 1868 (Vol. 1, pp. 730-37) On Line at Cornell University.
- "Bits" August 1868 (Vol. 2, pp. 145-148) On Line at Cornell University.
- "The Battle of Plattsburgh Bay: An Unpublished Manuscript of J. Fenimore Cooper" January 1869 (Vol. 3, pp. 49-59) On Line at Cornell University.
- "The Eclipse: From an Unpublished MS. of James Fenimore Cooper" September 1869 (Vol. 4, pp. 352-59) On Line at University of Virginia. On Line at Cornell University.
- "Village Improvement Societies" September 1869 (Vol. 4, pp. 359-366) On line on this Website. On Line at Cornell University.
- "The Magic Palace" February 1870 (Vol. 5, pp. 160-62) On Line at Cornell University.
- "The [Greenough's] Chanting Cherubs" February 1870 (Vol.5, pp. 242-42) [letter to the editor] On line on this Website. On Line at Cornell University.
- "Insect-Life in Winter" April 1870 (Vol. 5, pp. 424-27) On Line at Cornell University.
- "Madame Lafayette and Her Mother" August 1870 (Vol. 6, pp. 202-13) On Line at Cornell University.
St. Nicholas: An Illustrated Magazine for Young Folks
- "The Adventures of Cocquelicot. (A True History)." October 1881 (Vol. 8, pp. 942-46) On line on this Website.
- "The Cherry-Colored Purse. (A True Story)." January 1895 (Vol. 22, pp. 245-48) On line on this Website.
In Anthologies, etc.
Appleton's Cyclopaedia of American Biography. Ed. James Grant Wilson and John Fiske. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 6 vols., 1886-1889.
- SFC listed as among the "chief contributors"
The Home Book of the Picturesque: or, American Scenery, Art, and Literature
- New York: G.P. Putnam, 1852
- Gainesville: Scholars' Facsimiles & Reprints, 1967 -- facsimile of Putnam edition
- as Home Authors and Home Artists; or American Scenery, Art and Literature.
New York: Leavitt and Allen, 1852
- "A Dissolving View" (pp. 79-84) On Line at The Library of Congress.
Worthy Women of our First Century ed. Mrs. W.J. Wister and Miss Agnes Irwin (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1877
- "Mrs. Philip Schuyler: A Sketch" (pp. 71-111) [On line on Google Books]
Wide Awake Pleasure Book
Wonder Stories of History
- Boston: D. Lothrop, 1879 (VIII, pp. 348-53).
- Boston; D. Lothrop, 1886
- Chicago & New York: The Werner Co., 1895
- "The Wonderful Cookie: A True Story" On line on this Website.
A Centennial Offering. Being A Brief History of Cooperstown, with a Biographical Sketch of James Fenimore Cooper. Ed by. S.M. Shaw. (Cooperstown: Freeman's Journal Office, 1886) On Line at Cornell University.
- "The Thanksgiving Hospital" (pp. 180-182) On Line at Cornell University.
- "Orphan House of the Holy Saviour" (pp. 182-184) On Line at Cornell University.
Correspondence of James Fenimore Cooper ed. by by James Fenimore Cooper [grandson} (Yale University Press, 1922, 2 vols.)
- "Small Family Memories (1873)" (Vol. I, pp. 9-72) On line on this Website.
to Household Edition of the Works of James Fenimore Cooper
(Boston: Houghton-Mifflin, and later editions) On Line on this Website.
- The Deerslayer (1876) -- pp. xiii-xl
- The Last of the Mohicans (1876) -- pp. ix-xxxviii
- The Pathfinder (1876) -- pp. ix-xxxiv
- The Pioneers (1876) -- pp. xi-xxxvi
- The Prairie (1876) -- pp. ix-xxxii
- Afloat and Ashore (1884) -- pp. ix-xiv
- Miles Wallingford (1884) -- pp. vii-xvi
- The Crater (1884) -- pp. ix-xix
- Jack Tier (1884) -- pp.vii-xiv
- The Pilot (1884) -- pp. xii-xxiii
- The Red Rover (1884) -- pp xi-xxi
- The Sea Lions (1884) -- pp. xi-xxi
- The Two Admirals (1884) -- pp. ix-xvii
- The Water-Witch (1884) -- pp. ix-xxiii
- The Wing-and-Wing (1884) -- pp. ix-xviii
Return to Top of Page